Monday, February 9, 2009

Men might want to skip this one

So I got my first mammogram today and it went surprisingly smooth. Those of you who know how old I am and are gasping at the thought of this being my first can put the judgement on hold and just go with it - it's done now.

I think the most difficult part of the whole event was finding a parking space next to Northwest Community Hospital. I got in right away, the paperwork was a snap, the technician an expert (been doing it 27 years, although she didn't look old enough to have that kind of experience) and the procedure was unexpectedly quick and painless.

Even better, the results came within 20 minutes afterward so I knew everything was all right immediately. This all occurred in under an hour. And then I was off to meet a friend for lunch and free to not think about it again for a year other than to thank God for answered prayer.

It did make me think however about why we put off the things we don't want to deal with, and how very often the fear of the unknown keeps us from....well just keeps us.

I understand why it's easier to go into something with your eyes open and an idea of what to expect, but I also kind of feel like we move on all sorts of false assurances. We usually have no idea what's going to happen and rarely experience anything the exact same way someone else went through it. The fact that we try anything new at all has to be partly based on some kind of faith. Especially if it's dangerous or scary or has the potential to really change things up.

And I realized how relaxed I was today, not nervous at all, and yes that could be due to a lot of things, but I attribute it where I place my faith. There's a peace that comes from knowing God is ever present and all the pain, procedures and positive results in the world don't take that hope away.

No comments: