Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Bono Birthday Bash




Today is the 51st Birthday of the frontman for the Irish rock band U2. If you don't know who U2 are, we have obviously never met.

And you live in a cave.

While my obsession has been waning (this has more to do with spiritual maturity than a decreased affection for the man and his music) I still get quite a thrill whenever a U2 song comes on the radio. I can count on one hand the number of U2 songs I would voluntarily turn off.

And it wouldn't take the whole hand.

They are due to come back to Chicago this summer and play a second time at Soldier Field as part of their U2-360 Tour. This is a postponement from last year when Bono had back surgery (it's hard getting old and I imagine harder when you fly all over the world for a living).

I am looking very forward to it.

Those of you who've read the blog long enough know about our adventures after the last U2concert here (let's just leave it at car towing) and how we skipped the second show as a result. My biggest disappointment was finding out they sang "Amazing Grace" live that second night.

My favorite song...sung by my favorite artist...in my favorite town...the weekend of my favorite holiday (4th of July). Sigh.

I admire Bono for a lot of reasons, not the least of which is how he inspires so many people to care for the marginalized, or what Jesus refers to as "the least of these."

One such inspiration is the annual fundraiser "Build a Well for Bono's Birthday." I've participated many times over the years.

Q: What do you give the millionaire artist-activist who has everything for his birthday?
A: Clean water to folks in Africa. http://www.africanwellfund.org/Bono-Well-2011.html

I celebrated Bono's birthday by loading one of my favorite live CD's and reliving a previous concert performance.

Bono has performed in Chicago twice on his birthday.

And once on mine...best 30th birthday party ever.

No comments: